I'll start by saying that I couldn't agree more with LA.
His prank calls rarely succeed in doing much of anything at all. They're not funny, they're not clever, the caller either usually can't understand what he's saying or hangs up before any sort of decent pranking happens. Rev does a lot of that HORRIBLE and predictable 'jivey coon' black guy (think Stephin Fetchit) crap ('what it be like, cuzz?') and other assorted dumb stereotypically racist shit he has picked up from his hero (and peer, apparently) Howard Stern.
I've yet to get an answer from him on just what he gets out of or is trying to accomplish with his prank calls. He's admitted "they're not suppose to be funny" several times. Well, what the fuck then? I thought that was the point of prank calls.
Instead, i think he just gets off on phone-bullying old people in front of an audience. Nothing new here. He probably did unspeakably shitty things to animals when he was a kid too.
That voice? Don't even get me started. It's always just on one setting - flat, dull, nasally, sarcastic, uninterested - like he's always just on the verge of either crying or dying. I believe he thinks it's a good radio voice or something.
I'd like Ghost a lot more if he'd just not come off so insecure about what people think of him and just do a fuckin' cool cast. I came on at some point last night and he said something very telling (i thought) which was something like, "I just wish Alki would stop by this channel and say 'hi', just once even".
And therein lies much of the problem, I think. So many of these casters just want Daddy Alki's love and acknowledgement. Why not just do a kickass show and let Alki stop by when and if he wants?
One last thing for BOTH of these turds. May I suggest, cutting down on the weed consumption? For a couple of devoted potheads, these dudes NEVER seemed happily stoned and almost ALWAYS seem too uptight and angry.
"that voice? Don't even get me started. It's always just on one setting - flat, dull, nasally, sarcastic, uninterested - like he's always just on the verge of either crying or dying. I believe he thinks it's a good radio voice or something."
ReplyDelete-further to the above, and not wanting to bully rev but rather explain ... and rant a 'lil lol
1. all these fools with a fancy mic and splash guard i mean spit screen think they're good.
2. think rufus wainwright. when he first hit my radio waves, i thought i liked his voice. the angst. i was in the midst of my own at the time. =P his voice was different than the rest of the top 20 on the charts. but the more i heard him, each song had the same sound. when he made me want to pierce my ears with a fork
singing cohen's "halleluja"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQK4YfiPj1Q&ob=av2n
that was the end of my musical affair with ruf. rev's voice affects me the same way.
- this is how it's supposed to sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE
fuck. now i'm gonna be singing that all day. lol =P
I CANNOT stand the monotoned, boring, humourless fucker. And the fact that he's number one on BC is so telling.
ReplyDeleteAnd as for Ghostdog--for once I'd like to see the guy cast sober for a day.